Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Menagerie

The Menagerie increased in population on December 28th when we brought Nevin home from the local shelter. Gavin loved the name they had given the kitten, since it so closely resembles his own, and alas, it has stuck. What can I say, he is a wonderful pet. Quiet, loving and full of energy he has made the perfect companion for an only child living in the sticks. Gavin has leash trained him and taught him how to jump through a hula hoop. We are not sure where the circus theme is headed but it promises to be entertaining. Gordy is ambivalent and unsurprisingly submissive to the cat, despite his 70lb body mass advantage. He will be sixteen next month so I do not think he is interested in establishing a long term relationship. His arthritis is really advancing so we understand we are on borrowed time and thus intend to spoil him rotten.

Cub Scouting, work and school are keeping us hopping. I have sixteen Cubs in my Pack and incredibly dependable parents-what are the odds? I am still green, learning by trial and error with the usual smile on my face. I am volunteering at school twice a week as a teachers aide assisting with math skills and physical education. After an hour of volunteering, I am FRIED and depart with ever increasing appreciation for the profound patience the profession requires. 

Watching Gavin at Christmas this year was precious. As he prepared carrots for the reindeer and cookies for Santa, I realized the fleeting nature of these moments. 

Eric is progressing with his three-year FEMA project at work and my business is growing steadily. I have big plans for this year, including more education in the form of a new Health Coach license and meal planning application. I love my job and find it very rewarding. Gavin continues with his run of straight A's and is able to consistently manage more responsibilities with ease. I have not had to lift a finger to care for his kitten as he has taken full charge. The Pinewood Derby is in March so car construction will begin shortly. He and Eric will spend hours of time in the shop engineering, sanding and painting. 

The drought continues to plague our area and we have already seen fires in our subdivision. The elk are becoming more desperate and for the first time have jumped over our 6.5' fence to get to our greener, manicured patch of lawn. Their perseverance never ceases to amaze me.

2 comments:

  1. Oh you do know how to do a good monologue love all of the pictures and your narration of the goings-on keep `em coming MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad all is well. Looking forward to seeing all of you and meeting Nevin!

    ReplyDelete